My first two CSA boxes have had a mix of greens they called “braising greens.” I wasn’t really sure what to do with them, so when i saw this recipe on Vegetarian Times website, I knew it would be perfect for them. It was. It was so simple and easy. And really delicious. The original recipe called for feta and goat cheese. To me, the best part was the crunchy part on the edges.
Quinoa and greens pie
adapted from Vegetarian Times
makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch mixed greens – I used mix of kale, mustard greens, spinach, orach and swiss chard
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch spring onions or 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp. dried dill
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Place quinoa in small saucepan, and toast over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until almost dry. Add 1 cup water, and season with salt, if desired. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and transfer to large bowl.
2. Heat large pot over medium heat. Add greens and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until wilted, stirring frequently or tossing with tongs. Transfer greens to strainer, and squeeze out excess moisture. Transfer to cutting board, and chop into small pieces. Stir greens into quinoa.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, and sauté 10 minutes, or until browned. Add cooked onions, green onions, dill, and cheese to quinoa mixture. Stir in eggs; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Pour 1 Tbs. oil into 9-inch pie pan, and place in oven. Heat 5 minutes, or until oil is hot. Swirl oil to coat bottom of pan, then spread quinoa mixture in pan with spatula. Bake 20 minutes. Drizzle pie with remaining 1 Tbs. oil, and bake 20 to 30 minutes more, or until golden brown.