I took out some chicken breasts the other night without any real plan on what to do with them. I raided the pantry and the freezer to see what I could make and came up with a pretty tasty dish. I’ve started to love black beans and since Scott isn’t a big fan, I decided to make this while he’s out of town.
I served this over Kashi’s new Fiery Fiesta rice pilaf – which I really liked.
It really added a smokey flavor to this dish. I didn’t think it was super spicy, but that may be because I was eating it with the chicken.
Southwest chicken with beans & corn
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 bag frozen corn
1 can diced tomatoes
1-2 tsp. cumin
1-2 tsp. Penzey’s chili con carne spice mix
1. Mix chicken with half the spices; toss to coat.
2. Cook chicken in non-stick pan until almost done.
3. Add black beans, tomatoes and corn and rest of spices. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until chicken is done.
4. Taste for spices and add more if needed. Chop cilantro and add to pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
5. Serve with rice and sour cream if desired.